Foreward

"Venge is my dream of a hero and his quest for love. And in this dream I have to do things that scare me.

I am MidKnight, and these are my Knightmares. "

-Sunday, December 13, 2009


Friday, February 19, 2010

Commitment

It is completed. The last image I wanted to convey before charging forward into creating the actual book. So here it is:

Original drawing was created with a 7H drawing pencil but would not scan. Went over it again with a mechanical pencil. Could have inked it just as easily except that I am not as confident with the permanence of ink. So then, I scanned it in and modified the image with darkness and gamma. I then used some minor tweaks to remove the color and maximise the dark values.


While researching what a straitjacket would look like, I came across images of fencing tunics. I noticed that they looked very similar which prompted me to reconsider Venge's 'costume'. Since he is a swordsman and is constantly teetering on the edge of sanity, I figured this would be great concepts to incorporate into his outfit.


I am going to explore various ways in which I could add these qualities into a new outfit for him. I want to do this now, before I start cranking out pages, rather than 13 issues later when his 'persona' has already become established.


It is only a slight sidetrack, but one that may take a few weeks to recover from. I plan to draw up some sketches until I can find something that fits. After that, I will probably create a new detail board of his 'costume' details. These design board are a reference source from which I can look back to to make sure that I am not leaving out any details (such as the ribbons that keep his mask on, accidentally excluded from some recent drawings).


I think it would also be interesting to post step-by-step pictures of this process...

2 comments:

  1. I like this better than your other stuff. Conveys something more than uusal super-hero poses (yeah I draw those too). Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, 'the rest' is a slim catagory. Not only is everything I complete posted (here and other online venues) for translation to digital medium, but it is also presented for peer judgement.
    As for the super hero poses, well, that is just what I have to work with. Comics use extreme poses to convey a whole paragraph of a story in one single image. And do so without the artistic 'what if's' that painters use (what is the artist saying as opossed to what is the artist trying to say).
    It is true that not every shot is an action shot. But every shot must be as expressive as possible.
    But, thank you. This drawing has gotten more 'Wow's than the standard 'Cool's I usually receive.

    ReplyDelete